Built in 1954 at the site of the original double pen, two-family overseer's house. The building's modern features reflect its use as a park ranger's residence until 1993. A minimum of two overseers and their families lived at Somerset Place during the antebellum period. One was called the "under overseer." The location and orientation of the building provides important clues to an understanding of the overseer's housing in relationship to the enslaved community.